PartⅠ Vocabulary and Structure (30 points)
1. It’s no use telephoning me at the office this week because I’m D .
A) on leave B) on holidays C) by my leave D) on business
2. She is pleased with what you have given him and D you have told him.
A) that B) which C) all what D) all that
3. He as well as I C you.
A) agree with B) agree to C) agrees with D) am to agree
4. There are seven students from Japan, B are from Iran, and are from places.
A) Other….the rest…others B) Others….the rest…..other
C) The other…rest…another D) Another…the rest…the other
5. I found that my cheating in yesterday’s English test C to my parents that very evening.
A) reported B) be reported C) had been reported D) is reported
6. The police accused him of setting fire to the apartment but he denied D in the area on the night of the fire.
A) have been B) to be C) to have been D) having been
7. He got home D Christmas Day and he had a good time the Christmas holidays.
A) at, in B) on, at C) in, on D) on, in
8. If he had put the gold watch in a safe place, he A it.
A)would not have lost B) will not lose C) would not lose D) would not lost
9. He has been asked to account D his absence.
A) of B) on C) about D) for
10. I don’t like this wine, I like A wine.
A) some other B) some others C) other D) another
11. It is necessary that one B an entrance examination to be admitted to a college.
A) will take B) take C) takes D) is to take
12. He was C with murder.
A) accused B) arrested C) charged D) sentenced
13. The neighbors do not consider him quite B as most evening he awakens them with his drunken singing.
A) respectful B) respectable C) respective D) respected
14. John felt sorry because the film A when he the cinema.
A) had begun, reached B) begun, got to C) had begun, arrived D) begun, arrived
15. The children were B for getting their shoes and socks wet.
A) suffered B) accused C) scolded D) complained
16. How did it come A that you made a lot of mistakes in your homework?
A) about B) to C) after D) with
17. By the end of this term I A my Master’s degree.
A) shall have obtained B) shall obtain
C) may have obtained D) ought to have obtained
18. Only one little boy A the accident; everyone else was killed.
A) survived B) suffered C) submitted D) succeeded
19. Whether he agrees or not will be B consequence to our decision.
A) no B) of no C) little D) making little
20. He often comes to class C .
A) lately B) to be late C) late D) be late
21. I had hoped C my letter.
A) her to answer B) that she answer C) that she would answer D)her answering
22. We did not find C to prepare for the worst conditions we might face.
A) it worth B) it worthy C) it worthwhile D) worth our while
23. Many an airplane and many a big gun B in the exhibition.
A) are shown B) has been shown C) has shown D) shown
24. I am very keen on sports, D ?
A) don’t I B) didn’t I C) am not I D) aren’t I
25. John is the only one of the staff members who A to be transferred,
A) is going B) are going C) have been going D) has been going
26. If he C medicine yesterday, he would be well now.
A) took B) would take C) had taken D) would have taken
27. We prefer that the plan A before being put into execution.
A) be fully discussed B) must be fully discussed
C) will be fully discussed D) is fully discussed
28. She is such an irritation woman. I don’t known how you can B her.
A) put up B) put up with C) stand up with D) stand with
29. There are twelve of us, so B get into the car at the same time.
A) we any not at all B) we can’t all C) all we may not D) all we can’t
30. Why do you stand and watch the milk A over?
A) boiling B) boiled C) to boil D) being boiled
1. I have always A to visit my mother on her birthday.
A) made it a point B) made great efforts C) made up my mind D) made decisions
2. It never D to me that he would defeat the strong boxer.
A) happened B) struck C) revealed D) occurred
3. There are many problems B at the meeting.
A) solved B) to be solved C) solving D) having been solved